Why rural marketing is considered a challenge?
Experts keep talking about the blurring lines between the rural and urban boundaries as they still face troubles implementing similar campaigns in these two geographies. The evidence has proven that rural marketing needs additional helping hands to pull the weight of the campaign to achieve the same level of effectiveness.
The reason behind this can be summarized as following:-
- Lower literacy rate in rural areas.
- Lack of civic sense among working class.
- Conventional cultural and lifestyle preferences.
- Absence of proper channels of distribution.
- Dearth of established marketing channels.
One to one marketing, we are all aware comes in many shapes and sizes and so does regional art, the new and shiny name in the list is – EDUTAINMENT.
What is Edutainment?
It is a blend of educational and recreational materials such as videos, songs, games etc. The purpose of the content is to educate while entertaining the target audience which ensures better understanding and lasting memories. The primary motive, however, remains to pass along important information but the use of recreational mediums are done.
There are various examples of edutainment such as:-
A scripted skit which is played out on a platform rather than a professional stage has a sole intention of spreading an important message through word of mouth and self realization.
An old age movie camera with attractive interiors that shares a concept similar with slideshows but done in a much more entertaining manner.
Puppet show catches not just every child’s but also most adult’s eyes in the first attempt, it also is one of the most entertaining ways to pass on information which otherwise might seem bland.
People may not want to listen, watch or see but they generally are drawn towards games and if they come with a promise of reward, they feel the force of the gravitational pull.
Advantages of Edutainment
- It is the easiest way to engage an audience which is not participating in usual circumstances as entertainment taps into their emotions and provokes a response which is good for marketing.
- Once the audience is engaging in the process, the connection between them and the brand is established.
- The effectiveness of the medium is not affected by the education or literacy of the target audience.
- Retention of information is increased when it is delivered clubbed with entertainment so it leaves a lasting impression.
These advantages transform into solutions for the problems faced in rural areas and thus Edutainment can play a catalytic role in conveying intended message to rural people for better understanding. The fact that it fits the requirements of a marketer who is looking to crack the code of rural marketing makes Edutainment the most preferred medium of marketing.